Thursday, December 16, 2010

It's a Money Issue

By Francine Keller

I went shopping today. I picked out the cutest shoes you ever saw, but I left them on the shelf. I went to K-Mart and found the Plus Size department, looking for the cute shirt I’d seen on the Internet. That place is confusing. I can’t find what I’m looking for. I suppose it would be easier if I were looking for smaller sizes.

I left empty-handed, partly because I couldn’t find what I wanted. Mostly, however, I didn’t purchase anything because of financial issues.

In the past, fear of being recognized as a cross-dresser might have driven me out of the store. I rented a mailbox once, so I could purchase from online catalogs. I couldn’t have it sent to my home and have my wife get the mail. I’m happy to say I no longer fear. It’s probably still not a good idea for wife to get the mail, but I don’t care if I get funny looks.

The simple truth is, I can’t afford it. As many others, I’m the victim of the bush economy and the Obama recovery. Making ends meet has become priority one. Perhaps it’s a bad time to revisit my gender issues. When I think of all the wonderful, pretty clothes I discarded during my purging episodes over the years . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment