Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A Hell of a Life

By Francine Keller

If you’ve been reading this blog, then you know I’ve been exploring my past in an effort to uncover my gender issues. I’m not sure why I’m doing this now. After all, I’m fifty something, six feet tall, balding, and obese. I’m probably the least likely candidate for sexual reassignment there is. However, my feelings have resurfaced even though I know my bone structure is too large.

What is your definition of hell? Without delving into spiritual issues of faith, My definition is, wanting something bad enough you’d do almost anything to get it, even though getting it, might not be the best choice.

As a pre-teen, (before the Internet) I enjoyed dressing in women’s clothing. I felt sexy as I put on my mother’s bra and pretended to be a girl. My favorite games were make believe, and I wanted to be female.

As a teenager and young adult, I mistook my gender issues for sexual deviance but with the advent of the World Wide Web, I discovered I’m not alone. Still, I’ve struggled throughout my life to be a man and fulfill that role.

Later, I squelched my desires in order to be a good husband. I kept my feelings in the back of mind, cross-dressing in private at every opportunity. Then about three years ago, my wife announced that due to orthopedic health issues, and a lack of desire on her part, she didn’t want to have sex anymore.

It was like a death sentence or forced retirement. I didn’t want to be old, and if anything, my sexual desire had increased. Also, adding to my dilemma, I had been experiencing erectile dysfunction. In my studies since then, I’ve learned this is a symptom of HRT, so maybe my body was telling me something.

I began to explore my transsexual desires and fantasize again, but those old feelings of guilt and deviance crept back in.

It was about this time, that I met a younger woman at work. She latched onto me and the sexual tension we experienced excited the both of us. She later said she was attracted by my kindness and consideration of her feelings. We began to have an affair.

So, I ask you, does that mean I'm not a transsexual?”

Because of my attachment and responsibilities to my family, the relationship ended. It broke my heart to see her get married, especially since she didn’t marry me.

In light of the fact I’ve never told my wife about my cross dressing, gender issues, I’m still surprised I told her about my affair. Then again, I never told my lover either. Still, I wanted to be honest and I asked my wife’s forgiveness.

Now, we stay together for the family and we don’t sleep in the same room. My gender issues have surfaced and I’m left to wonder has my life been a waste? Would it have been richer if, at fourteen, I had pursued my desires to be female? I’ve always felt burdened by the male role of taking the lead, but that’s a subject for another blog.

I hope you find peace in your life, and joy in your choices.

7 comments:

  1. Francine,

    Just happened to stumble on your blog (thanks for signing onto mine, BTW.) I can see a lot of parallels in your story. As you travel through this little corner of the blogosphere we sit in, I'm sure you'll see some of that commonality yourself eventually. Sometimes the most refreshing part about landing here is finding that we really aren't alone in this after all.

    As to your wife, I suspect she may have her suspicions, regardless of what she shows on the outside. Your traits of kindness and consideration for her feelings are probably some of what attracted her to you in the first place. While these aren't the usual "macho man" traits, they are shared by many of us here.

    The best of luck to you and God bless. I think you'll find a lot of warm camaraderie among us here in the "sisterhood."

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah, for the gracious welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Francine,

    My name is Anne, and if you follow my avatar through my profile, you will find my blog. I offer you that because what I have to say to you is NOT offered in anger or hate, but out of love understanding and concern. I am 63 and one of those very, very rare, early transitioner's that have wandered back into this blogosphere to try and save a few lives.

    And that exactly is what is at stake here, REAL LIVE, breathing, and in many cases, profoundly suffering and troubled individuals.

    Michelle is one of those people that like yourself have found themselves trapped in a prison of their own design. In your situation your continued existence on this planet is much less precarious than is that of Michelle/Bob and his family.

    There are so many in the TG land that have lost the boundary between fantasy and reality.

    I will leave you with a couple of links and and invitation to visit my blog. I urge you to start at the beginning and take the time to digest what is written there. I by no means profess to "have all the answers". Far from that. What I do have is the benefit of 40 years of having "walked the walk". There is a great deal of perspective in 40 years of "hindsight".

    Please, take the time to read what I have posted from the beginning with an open mind.

    http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/TS/Warning.html

    http://www.mtftransition.com/t-girl.htm

    You have my best,

    Anne

    BTW...even at age 63, that could easily be me in that photo, you use for an avatar, except that my hair is much, much longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Anne,

    Yeah I'm trying to keep it in perspective. I'm very much aware of what the testerone and the ravages of time can do to my chances. I also know my life would have to change completely. I think I would drop under the wire and enjoy my femminity.

    Either way. thanks for your concern. Keep in touch please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was more concerned about your flippant comments to Michelle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are you talking about? I thanked her for welcoming me.

    ReplyDelete